Canadian Venture Capital Association (CVCA) – Group Benefits Member Advantage Program
Why take advantage of the CVCA Multi-Employer Plan?
- Savings typically range from 10% to 35% of annual costs for group insurance plans.
- Savings are sustainable and ongoing (average renewal is no change or reduction in costs).
- Low financial risk of a traditional fully insured plan with significantly reduced plan expenses.
- Provides the volume discount of association style plans.
- Provides complete plan design flexibility.
- Stand-alone basis for contract, billing, administration and service purposes.
- Expenses range from 15% to 20% (includes premium tax).
- Renewal calculations are based on your group’s own claims experience, not the performance of the pool.
- Consulting expertise and service provided by The Leslie Group Limited.
How are the savings through the CVCA Multi-Employer Plan generated?
The CVCA Multi-Employer Plan provides enhanced buying power for businesses with the volume discount advantage of a traditional association style plan; however each company program would be set up on a standalone basis for contract, billing, administration, and service purposes. Additionally, unlike most association plans, the CVCA Multi-Employer Plan allows complete flexibility to design the coverage to meet the unique needs of your employee population. This provides the best of both worlds, multi-employer plan savings with less risk than standalone or association plans, however standalone for all other aspects.
What is required to proceed with a review?
The Leslie Group Limited requires detailed information on your current benefits program including employee census data, claims experience information, rates, cost sharing, and funding arrangements. However, depending on the situation, we can obtain much of this information directly from the insurance carrier. The Leslie Group Limited will then complete a review and prepare a report with recommendations that outline opportunities and savings. The Leslie Group will assist in the implementation and coordination of changes for your plan members as well as organizing assistance with your program.
Canadian Oil & Heat Association (COHA) - Multi-Employer Program
The COHA Multi-Employer Plan provides volume based discounts and enhanced financial underwriting arrangements including preferred non-medical limits for Life Insurance and Long Term Disability coverage to all COHA members, and offers savings to your organization in the short-term and long-term. Savings can range from between 5% and 15%.
What is a Multi-Employer Plan?
The multi-employer plan provides volume discounts and enhanced financial and underwriting arrangements over a standalone group insurance program. There is no legal connection between each plan, which eliminates any additional liability concerns, with separate contracts, servicing and plan designs for each COHA member company. All participants will utilize a common employee benefit consulting firm, and one of two group insurance carriers depending on the size of the group.
Multi-Employer Results to Date:
Since September 1, 2009, we have been engaged to review several COHA member plans. In all plan reviews, significant savings and enhanced financial arrangements have been provided in addition to an increase in the level of consulting and services provided. The savings have ranged from 5% to 25% of annual costs for group insurance plans with the highest percentage savings for plans with less than 35 members and while percentage is sometimes lower (5%) for large plans the dollar savings is significant.
The policies under this program continue to renew with renewal adjustments that are well below the industry average which confirms that the savings provided through the COHA multi-employer plan are sustainable over the long-term.
What are the Main Areas of Review?
Plan Expenses and Target Claims Loss Ratios
Catastrophic Medical pooling coverage and costs
Incurred But Not Reported Reserves
Plan Funding Arrangements
Plan Design and Cost Sharing
Cash Flow Costs (Rates)
Preferred provider programs (reduce drug dispensing fees)
What is Required to Proceed with a Review?
We require detailed information on your current benefits program including employee census data, claims experience information, rates, cost sharing, and funding arrangements. However, depending on the situation, we can obtain much of this information directly from the insurance carrier.
The next step is to complete our review and prepare a report with recommendations that outline opportunities and savings. The Leslie Group will assist in the implementation and coordination of changes for your plan members as well as organizing assistance with your program.
Family Health Team - Multi-Employer Program
The Leslie Group has built an employee benefits program designed for Family Health Teams (“FHT”), Family Health Networks, Family Health Groups, Family Health Organizations, and Nurse Practitioner Led Clinics (NPLCs). The program was established in 2006 and has grown steadily over the years.
The program is designed as a Multi-Employer Plan which provides volume based discounts and enhanced financial underwriting arrangements including preferred non-medical limits for Life Insurance and Long Term Disability coverage to all FHT members, and offers savings to your organization in the short-term and long-term.
Multi-Employer Plan Quick Facts:
- Approximately 40 FHTs and NPLCs are currently participating in the plan.
- For those groups that receive funding from the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care for benefits, the plan is designed uniquely for your group to ensure that the coverage is competitive while remaining within their benefit budget.
- If your group is enrolled in HOOPP or is considering joining this Defined Benefit Pension Plan, the coverage available through the multi-employer plan is flexible and can be designed to ensure that your group does not exceed your allotted benefit budget.
- The average renewal adjustment has trended well below the industry each year and confirms that the multi-employer plan provides sustainable pricing over the long term.
- Competitive marketing reviews continue to confirm the competitiveness of the pricing and coverage of the program.
- Each participating group is set up with their own contract and is not tied to any other group participating in the multi-employer plan from a legal perspective.
- Physicians and their staff can participate in the plan with separate billing and administration available if required.
The Multi-Employer Plan provides extensive employee benefits for your group; including but not limited to:
- Life Insurance, Dependent Life Insurance, and Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage
- Optional Life Insurance.
- Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability coverage
- Medical, Drugs, Hospital, and Out of Country Emergency Medical coverage
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Group Critical Illness
- Health Care Spending Accounts
- Full service Retirement Plan
Coverage is available for full time employees with an average of 20 hours per week or greater and permanent part time employees who work an average minimum of 15 hours per week. The program can be customized to meet your group’s unique requirements. Whether you have a plan already in place today or are investigating implementing coverage, The Leslie Group will provide a no cost review. The FHT Multi-Employer Plan is offered exclusively through The Leslie Group Limited. The Leslie Group has extensive expertise and experience in the employee benefits industry and the health sector.
Leverage - Multi-Employer Program
After 25 years of experience, the Leslie Group team is bringing our LEVERAGE to the table. Behind our team of consultants, service reps and account managers, we are a unique perspective and a creative Group Benefits Solutions.
The management of group benefits plan costs even in positive economic times is never easy; however, with the current economic conditions, a shrinking marketplace and rapidly increasing healthcare and drug costs, the challenges have significantly increased. These factors for small and midsize businesses have resulted in many clients seeing double digit cost increases where the only viable solutions available to them are either to reduce the coverage provided to their employees and or, increase the employee share of the plan costs. We felt that we could do better.
The number one employee benefit concern for small and mid-size businesses is managing increasing costs. The Leslie Group manages over $130 million in group benefits premiums, over $520 million in group retirement assets, under management across hundreds of existing clients. We have been successful in reducing investment management fees & limiting overall plan increases in 2015 & 2016 to an average of low single digits by leveraging our buying power through the creation of specialty programs. While these solutions have and continue to bring excellent value to our current and new clients we are continuing to work to improve our products and services to further enhance the value we offer to all of our clients.
Our experience has taught us that small businesses want expert advice, value, and competitive benefits, with no increase in risk or cost. The Leslie Group solution is our cutting edge Multi-Employer LEVERAGE program. This program was developed by leveraging our significant volume of group benefits & group retirement business and offers substantial savings to our clients without an increase in financial risk. The key advantage of this program is sustainable long-term savings through increased buying power by reducing the plan expenses charged by the insurance carrier by as much as 35% with no increase in liability as all plans are fully insured. The LEVERAGE program is also eligible for the insurance industry large drug claim pooling protection (EP3) and all clients receive a standalone contract for plan coverage and administration customization. This product is further leveraged by our industry expertise, strength in negotiating renewals, creative approach to plan design, and various preferred provider networks. This program gives our clients the ability to effectively manage their benefits costs.
Ontario Long Term Care Association Multi-Employer Retirement Plan
What is a Multi-Employer Plan?
The OLTCA multi-employer retirement plan provides volume discounts and enhanced financial arrangements over a standalone retirement program. There is a common connection between plan sponsors in that they are all members of the OLTCA. Each division is responsible for their own plan administration and customization is allowed in plan designs to meet specific needs. All participants will utilize a common group retirement carrier.
Multi-Employer Retirement Plan Results to Date:
The OLTCA program currently includes over 80 homes participating in the program and has in excess of 3,400 members and over $90,000,000 in assets. We continue to be engaged to review or establish individual LTC home programs and in all cases there are significant savings and enhanced financial arrangements provided. Savings have been found through the elimination of recordkeeping and administrative costs, reduced investment management fees, and the elimination of any payroll taxes charged on employer contributions.
In addition, there is an increased level of consulting and the OLTCA pension trustees assist with ensuring all governance, compliance matters and filings are dealt with annually.
What are the Main Areas of Review?
- Administration and Record Keeping Fees
- Investment Management Fees
- Plan Design
- Payroll Tax impact, if any
- Capital Accumulation Plan (CAP)
- Annual filing requirements and audit, if applicable
What is required to proceed with a Review?
We require detailed information on your current retirement program and/or group insurance program including employee census data and policy documents which outline current investment management fees and/or plan provisions. We can often obtain much of this information directly from your current providers with a signed authorization letter from you. The next step is to complete our review and prepare a report with recommendations that outline opportunities and savings.
Occupational Accident Insurance Program
Disability Management Solutions
We know that a disability has a financial impact on both employers and employees. What’s more, effective management of disability costs has never been more important. Our solution offers:
- A proactive approach to disability management through early intervention.
- Effective case management recognizing the soft costs of disability claims and at the same time ensuring an early and safe return to work for employees.
- Comprehensive benefits for your employees in the event of an occupational accident, including weekly accident-income replacement for up to five years for full-time and part-time staff, as well as significant lump-sum accidental death and dismemberment benefits.
Proven Track Record
Our program has been in operation since 1999 and we are proud to claim over 60 clients participate in the program. In addition, we have negotiated several significant coverage enhancements with annual renewals. You and your employees can count on The Leslie Group Limited to provide a solution with a proven track record.
- Coverage for over 60 employers, with more than 3,000 insured employees.
- Significant reduction in disability costs, particularly in the short term.
- Specialized, full service management of disability issues that can maintain future savings.
As your benefits consultant, The Leslie Group Limited will:
- Review the options of this exclusive program with you.
- Co-ordinate the implementation of your occupational accident insurance program.
- Communicate all details to your employees.
- Assist with ongoing management.
- Integrate the program with all current employee benefit programs.
- Ensure all current plans are managed as effectively as possible.